Tecsee DIY Switch Ice Cream series Samples bag is a new product from Tecsee which is kind of like a switch sampler kit, enabling you to mix and match different tops and bottoms, allowing you to essentially customise your own “perfect switch”.
Included in the package you get
- Top housing , 10 of each - HPE (UHMWPE)/ PA666 (Nylon)/PC (Polycarbonate)/PME (Tecsee’s proprietary plastic blend)
- Bottom housings, 10 of each - HPE/PA666/PC/PME
- Stems: UPE/ POM/Nylon material, with some being long pole (13.5mm vs 13.0 stems)
- Stainless steel springs - 62g bottom out (standard) and also 2 stage springs with a 58g bottom out, 36 pieces of each type of springs.
The possibilities are quite endless as you can see from the list above and if you want to recreate some of the Tecsee Switches - you can, for example:
- Tecsee Carrot - Top Housing: PME Material, Bottom Housing: PME Material, Stem: POM
- Tecsee Blue Lake - Top Housing: PC, Bottom Housing: Nylon/PA666, Stem: POM
- Tecsee Purple Panda - Stem: POM, Top Housing: PME Material, Bottom Housing: PME Material
- Tecsee Ice Milk - Top housing material: UHMWPE. Bottom housing material: Nylon, Stem material: UPE
- Tecsee Oreo: Uhmwpe Linear stem 13.0mm, PME Top , Nylon Bottom Housing
- Tecsee Ice Mint - Uhmwpe Linear stem 13.0mm, full PC housing
- Tecsee Ice Candy: Nylon Long stem, full PC housing.
The number of combinations is quite numerous and if you love experimenting with different material combinations to give you the best sound and feel this is an excellent set.
I personally found the full PC switch quite a clacky sound, whilst a nylon top and bottom with a uhmwpe stem gave me a really smooth switch with a deeper sound signature, and I like the feedback I get from 2 stage springs.
If I were to give feedback, I’ve noticed: the 2 stage springs have a very noticeable crunch sound to them which can be fixed by lubing for sure, and also wished tecsee would include some instructions or maybe even in a small switch opener to help newcomers who may buy this, even if it isn’t aimed at newcomers, maybe at least so that people know what combinations to try for other switches Tecsee sell.
All in all an excellent product for experimenting with switches to find your own perfect switch and would not hesitate to recommend this to other enthusiasts!